Spread the Word of Wikileaks.org
Wikileaks pulls the trigger on thousands of Afghan War documents (wikileaks.org) One of the most important Freedom Shenanigans we have done because it deals with truth and transparency. Somethings that Police State Fascist tyrannies like the USFEDGOV eschew! Copy and distribute far and wide.
- Release date
- July 25, 2010
25th July 2010 5:00 PM EST WikiLeaks has released a document set called the Afghan War Diary (AWD), an extraordinary compendium of over 91,000 reports covering the war in Afghanistan from 2004 to 2010.
The reports, while written by soldiers and intelligence officers mainly describing lethal military actions involving the United States military, also include intelligence information, reports of meetings with political figures, and related detail.
The document collection is available on a dedicated webpage.
The reports cover most units from the US Army with the exception of most US Special Forces' activities. The reports do not generally cover top-secret operations or European and other ISAF Forces operations.
We have delayed the release of some 15,000 reports from the total archive as part of a harm minimization process demanded by our source. After further review, these reports will be released, with occasional redactions, and eventually, in full, as the security situation in Afghanistan permits.
To decompress the files you need 7zip. A free client for Windows can be downloaded here. Please use your favorite search engine to find clients for other operating systems.
The data is provided in HTML, CSV and SQL formats, and also was rendered into KML mapping data that can be used with Google Earth. Please note that the checksums will change.
- Complete dump of the website, HTML format 75 MB (SHA1: 6dea25133a7b69bd303e86024cb54ae6870ec79e)
- All entries, CSV format 15 MB (SHA1: d6b82f955a7beb9589f92e9487c74669d1912a34)
- All entries, SQL format 16M MB (SHA1: 9463f73ebbcd3f95899a138d6ba9817e1b6b800d)
- All entries, KML format 16 MB (SHA1: 34562c0c7722522161e40330d80ac9082014845f)
- All NATO entries, KML format 209 kB (SHA1: 088ff8999a316f30e5e398021375fa3b4fc6349e)
- Entries by month, KML format 16 MB (SHA1: 01a5c0639e1e1e844b10e962a44849b2a521d092)
- Entries with scale filter, KML format 981 kB (SHA1: 4669c721b87775a44472f6688e768305c686beff)
Some notes about the data formats
- HTML: This is a complete dump of the website. Extract this to your local hard disk and open it with your web browser. Please check the project website http://wardiary.wikileaks.org for the most recent version of the website.
- KML: The various KML files can be viewed with Google Earth.
* afg-war-diary.7z: This archive contains all events in one KML file. This file needs much memory if opened with Google Earth.
* afg-war-diary-nato.7z: Contains the events that were tagged with NATO.
* afg-war-diary_by-month.7z: This archive provides the entries split by month. This makes it easier to browse the data in Google Earth on low power machines.
* afg-war-diary_scale1dot5.7z: The number of incidents maps (0.5 base score then 0.1 was added for each incident involving humans) to the scale of the event in Google Earth. This set of data provides only events that have a scaling of 1.5.
- CSV/SQL: Those two data formats provide the raw data for further processing.