Saturday, April 11, 2009

Checkpoint USA WON In Court Today (FRIDAY)

This is just a brief update regarding today's events in Pima County Justice Court. Checkpoint USA won without uttering a word.

This is regarding the December 20, 2008 U.S. Border Patrol/tribal police encounter previously discussed here and here.

To recap, tribal police Officer Robert Carrasco, Badge #166, with the Tohono O'odham Police Department worked closely with U.S. Border Patrol Agents to maliciously cite me for impeding traffic while I was being seized by armed federal agents in front of two stop signs at a Homeland Security checkpoint located off the reservation along SR-86 in Southern Arizona.

Tribal police officer Robert Carrasco arrived in court and presented his case in about five minutes or so. Normally, the defendant is then allowed to respond to the allegations but before I was allowed to speak, the judge dismissed the single charge of impeding traffic against me stating that the statute didn't apply.

This was one of several legal arguments I had prepared beforehand but wasn't given the opportunity to present. Not that I'm complaining mind you. The quick dismissal just caught me off guard - especially since I had prepared ten exhibits consisting of sixty pages in triplicate in support of my legal arguments.

This is now the second time the tribal police have initiated enforcement and legal action against me over the past several years only to have the charges dismissed (three times if you count the fact the judge dismissed the same charges twice in 2003).

I'll have a more in-depth writeup regarding today's events later but wanted to post a quick update sooner.

Thanks to all those who have offered their support and well wishes!

Regards,
Checkpoint USA